Food product testing on finished goods uses methods from USDA, AOAC and FDA food additive methods.
Partial list of the food finished goods testing as follows
- Preservative testing such as parabens
- Cyclamates as artificial sweetener 21 CFR 189.135
- Caffeine, sodium benzoate, and sodium saccharin in sport and soda drinks
- Antioxidants such as BHT, TBHQ, BHQ, HMBP, THBP, NDGA etc. present in butter, margarine, and oil for cooking and salad mixing.
- EDTA in crabmeat and mayonnaise
- Epichlorohydrin, dichlorohydrin, such as starch modifying agent 21 CFR 172.892 in corn starch
- Ethoxyquin such as antioxidant 21 CFR 172.140 in chili powder, paprika
- Nitrosamine, phthalate, 1,4-dioxane in food products
- Acetone, benzene, toluene, TCE, chloroform, CCL4, etc. in alcoholic beverages
- Polysorbate content in cakes, ice creams, pastries, cookies etc.
- Hydrogen peroxide in flour 21 CFR 178.1005
- For jams, juices, sauces, etc., testing on Escherichia coli, Salmonella, and anaerobic Clostridium microbes
- For peanut butter and nuts in cookies, testing on Salmonella, Escherichia coli microbial and aflatoxin is required